January 02, 2008

is it possible Argentina changed time?

I get these emails from my travel agency that sound incredibly dire: SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN SCHEDULE! YOUR ITINERARY IS AFFECTED! When I first got one, it was about a week after I booked my tickets, so I freaked out that it had all fallen through and oh my god what was I going to do nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

And so I look, and, like, Quantas changed my flight number, or a flight is now departing at 7:06 am versus 7:05. Clearly, their version of "significant change" is not the same as my version. Or, you know, my mom's version, were she looking for a significant change in the cleanliness of the house, for instance.

So I've become pretty inured to the Chicken Little emails - I check them and compare them to earlier versions, and move about my merry way. Usually they don't matter, sometimes they are good - my flight from Sydney to Singapore got moved up like 35 minutes on departure and almost an hour on landing, which means I may get in early enough to take the train from the airport, which would rock.

This one is just...weird, though. My first connecting flight, from D.C. to Buenos Aires got bumped back by 5 minutes, which I am decently happy about - it's a pretty tight connection, and I have a connection to make on the other end as well.

But, inexplicably, leaving at 9:45 instead of 9:40 changed my arrival time - it's now 11:25 am. Instead of 10:20. I have NO IDEA how that works.

And it sucks, because I previously had 4 hours to deplane, collect bags, clear customs, catch a cab, go to the domestic airport, and check in; now I have 3. My connecting time did not change. Suck. (On a related note, can I say again how happy I am that after this first leg, every single flight I am taking is direct, has no connections, and will not have hugely negative consequences if delayed? If I can make it through this one, I should not have that stress for the whole trip. If I can just make it through this ONE. Pray for fine domestic weather on January 15th, y'all).

OK, so that's weird, right? And then, I have a couple of domestic Argentine flights to and from Patagonia - all unchanged. And my flight from Buenos Aires to Auckland still leaves at 11:59 pm. Only now, instead of landing at 4:40 am, it's 5:40 am.

Seriously, did Argentina just change what time it is there and make it an hour later? And they did it on their own schedule, so that internal things are not affected, but international plane travel is?Does Argentine daylight savings go into effect on New Year's day or something? Am I dense for being baffled by this?

I am so confused. I think Argentina may have changed time to mess with me.

2 comments:

Moira said...

maybe they forgot about daylight savings...

ScienceMama said...

jerks.