January 20, 2008

country number two

I made it all the way to Punta Arenas, Chile with much success, I am now, however, on dial up for the first time since the 90s, so that may be a bit more challenging.

My first impression of the town is that I am not crazy about it - nothing wrong, per se, but I think my day-plus here will be plenty. It´s again not a big place, but oddly sprawled out - it reminds me weirdly of parts of Los Angeles, only wihtout the traffic. I would.t be surprised if the two were built at such a time that they did, in fact, share construction mentality.

There´s not a lot to do here, aside from booking out-of-town tours, which I don´t think I am going to do, so I will bop around town tomorrow to see if my opinion changes.

The bus ride was not terrible - the 12 hours includes all of the stopping and starting time, so it is actually quite broken up, between the leaving-Argentina border crossing, the entering-Chile border crossing, the ferry crossing, etc. Plus, I had an empty set beside me, and a British tour in front of me, so I got the lowdown as their guide explained everything to them. I am not itching to do it again (fortunately, I don´t think I have to - all the other bus rides I know about are 5 hours max), but it wasn't dreadful the once.

Tomorrow, dialup willing, I will try to post some pictures of the Straits of Magellan, since they are like, down the block (!).

3 comments:

ScienceMama said...

Straits of Magellan. You are totally living in third grade social studies.

Mike & Kathy said...

and in a 60's town at the end of the world - i hope tomorrow is some fun.

Scully96 said...

I am on dial-up too at my dad's house in Ohio right now! I asked, "Do they pay YOU to use this?" He didn't laugh. mwah!