March 14, 2008

things to do in wongaling when it rains

Not a lot, it turns out. The problem is actually not the rain, apparently, but the wind. It means that reef excursions aren't going out much at all. It also means that roads to and from Mission Beach keep getting flooded, making it impossible for buses to get here. It's so rural!

But it's not all bad. I came here for some unwinding time in the midst of go go go travel, and I am getting that in spades. It's not cold, so it's easy to spend the day laying on a couch by the pool and reading. Not a bad life.

I went for a long walk on the beach this morning - why doesn't every day of mine start with an hour walk on the beach? The water was warm, and because it was overcast and windy, I had the entire place to myself. I can see it being the most spectacular of beaches in perfect weather, but today it was perfect for wandering along, getting my feet in the ocean, watching clams stick their little feet out and burrow down. I walked way down, and way back, and I only saw my own footprints, too - it's not often you get that kind of remoteness on the hot backpacker circuit of Australia. Usually there are about 12 Brits around every corner.

This afternoon, I am going to see if reef tours are going for tomorrow; I'm also going to see about a walk in the rainforest, since it's not raining and should be a good day for it. I've also made plans to leave a day early and head up to Cairns for an extra day. I figure, if it's raining, the 'city' such as it is will have more to do, and it's possible there may be some reef tours from there. So there is hope, but worst case...I'm relaxed, and enjoying my book.

But I gotta say, I feel like someone does not want me to sit on the beach on this trip.

No comments: