March 07, 2008

Lonliness of the long-distance traveler

I sent my sister and her many, heavy bags off this morning. She is playing pack mule for my whole family in getting things from here to there. She is also on herway back to the States, so I am once again flying solo. It's hard, to go from traveling mostly with fun people I know and love to be back facing all my time alone. I am also in front of the long stretch - 6 weeks in Australia and Asia on my own before I meet the parents in Greece. It's the longest I have in the whole trip, and it's just at day one.

So I am sad - having Susan leave was really hard, and today may be a little rough. But fortunately, I am meeting up with my friend here in Melbourne a bunch this weekend - yay! - and there is enough I want to do that my time here is already pretty full. I just have to think about what I want to do today, and tomorrow, and not worry about the weeks ahead, or the number of them.

It's a bit of a hard, lonely day. But it will get better.

1 comment:

EmjayLA said...

Annie, you're doing well so far. I've only been able to read a few of your recent blogs (sorry, been behind a lot of things lately). Just keep in mind, you're a traveler, not a vacationer. Though you'll be alone sometimes, you're on an adventure. And by what I've read so far, you'll have an awesome time and a lot to look forward to before you meet your folks. Bravo! Mary