March 19, 2008

my kind of town

If at all possible, everyone should first see the Sydney Opera House on their first night in town, right before dusk. And then sit and watch it as the sun goes down. It's too perfect for words.


There is no explanation for it, but without seeing hardly any of the city, something about Sydney really resonates for me. I don't even feel like I need to see all of this place to know that I love it. On some weird level, it's just very comfortable and familiar and good here. So I've been to the Opera House, and to view it from a couple of places; I went shopping a bit on Pitt Street, and bought a belt (finally - I was in desperate need, after a tragic jeans-stretching incident that happened in Mission Beach), and I browsed briefly though the ghetto shopping spectacular that is Paddy's Markets. I have so much that I still want to do, but so far it's only served to strengthen my immediate love of Sydney.

Isn't it weird how places can be like that? My mom said I was a New Yorker before I even moved there, and I remember on my first day on my own in Manhattan, I got asked for directions (and gave them successfully). It was home from day one; two and a half years in LA and it never felt like home. Sydney, apparently, has been encoded on my DNA at some point.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't Sydney lovely, AnnieB? I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much! Promise me that you'll take a ferry at some point; the beaches and little coastal neighborhoods all along the way are incredible. We went to Watson's Bay when I was there, and walked up and around the cliffs. Gorgeous! I'm so happy you're having a great time; I know that I'm enjoying living vicariously through you! Keep up the fantastic blogs!

ruchi said...

Beautiful pic! I think I have to go back to Australia now ....