March 06, 2008

Melbourne, day 2

I have been in Australia for two full days now. Contrary to my habits, I have barely been on internet, so you will have to forgive the absence and trust that it's only because I have been out and about. It is not, as my mom feared, because my sister and I were lying in the Tasman Sea somewhere, or were being sold into white slavery (We didn't call soon enough, so she got worried and emailed the hotel to see if we checked in. We called this afternoon, so she's pretty sure we're alive.).

Melbourne is lovely, and so different from New Zealand. It's got this weird hybrid of foreign and American chain stores that makes it both fascinating and embarrassing - I mean, no wonder people don't love Americans, when we export terrible MTV reality and stores like EB Games and The Athlete's Foot?

For only two days, we've packed in a lot. We've had some nearly uncomfortably warm weather, and today, we briefly had some rain. We are CURSED, but I refuse to thing negatively and unpack the rain jacket. We toured the Royal Botanic Gardens, and found them lovely but not as good as the ones in Christchurch - whether that is a design flaw or a result of Melbourne's years-long draught is up in the air, though. We went to Queen Victoria Market and bought souvenirs and produce - this place has everything, from butchers to hammocks. And it's the butchers, not the tourist stands, that have barkers hawking their wares. Awesome. We went to Chinatown, walked along the river, and poked through the grocery store.

But the highlights are as follows:

Yesterday, Susan and I had dinner with a friend I had never met. I know her only via the Internet, but fortunately, she is just as lovely in person as she is online. She took us to tapas and gelato (what is not to love?) and got us oriented in the city on the first night here. Thanks, Julia!

Also yesterday, I went to Target. It was a trip, to see another place that is both the same and completely different as in the States, but it was wonderful. I didn't want to leave. We poked around the whole place, and just like home, I came away with an armful of stuff. And most importantly, I came away with new jeans! I went in a dozen stores in NZ and never found a pair that was anything more than doable and anything less than $50. I went into one Target and got a legitimately adorable pair of jeans for $30. God bless the Target; God bless them every one.

And the undeniable highlight: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, the musical. My mom went in Sydney last year, and loved it - she made me promise to go when I am up there in a couple of weeks. But there is a touring show here now, so it turns out Susan could go too, and we are so glad she did. This show is fantastic, y'all. The costumes are the same, and spectacular in person (plus new ones!), the songs are fun (and they found a great way to play with the leads lip synching their numbers), and they put in a lot of Australia jokes that make it really worth it to see the show here. There were koala and kangaroo costumes, Kylie jokes, and the daiquiris in the lobby were served in light up martini glasses. It was hands-down another trip highlight. See if it you are ever able, really.

Melbourne is really busy, with about 4 festivals going on this weekend (which is also labor day) and the Grand Prix starting next week, so I think I will have a good time taking advantage of it. Australia is expensive, though, but I am sure I will manage once the sticker shock wears off. I am not going to lie, starting out on a trip like this when the dollar is plummeting on a near-daily rate may not have been the best plan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moms are allowed to worry! You should see all this gray hair.

Anonymous said...

It's so fantastic that you met Julia!

Sounds like a lovely time, I'm insanely envious!

And your mom is right, she's allowed to worry. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's her job. ;)