February 22, 2008

in which things look up for our hero...

The number one reason why things were better today was that, by the time I had gotten up, showered, packed my pathetic belongings into a shopping bag, and checked my email, my sister had already landed in Christchurch. I just had to go to our hotel to meet her.

The next reason is that our hotel? Is awesome. It is this weird, new, hip, tiny place that is...so weird. It is designed to save on space and save on money, so it's like IKEA threw up in here. They clearly spent money on design, and it's brand new, so everything is spectacularly spiffy. And our room is about 12 feet by 7 feet. Total. Bathroom included, no closet. But it's all been designed with that in mind - the bed is built in, and runs along the back of the room; it's lofted a bit to have storage under the room; the flat panel tv, reading lights, and elaborate sound/alarm/mood music system are all mounted to the wall; the bathroom is shaped like a 1/4 circle, separated by frosted glass, and organized so everything serves multiple purposes. It's like being in a ship's cabin, and it's a trip, but it's also super comfy beds, free brand-new Macs for web surfing, a posh gym and sauna for use, et cetera. I would rather a trippy, small, ultra-designer room for the same price as a private room in a hostel, thanks. I love it. Stay here, seriously.

Another rocking reason for today is the food - my sister and I have really similar tastes, so we go the order-and-split route, and today has included for my chewing pleasure: a Moroccan lamb salad, a chicken sandwich with cranberry relish, flatbread, an Indian chicken satay pizza, and an Asian chicken salad that was not at all like it sounds, but really wonderful. Oh, and also, a lovely fruity reisling from the region. I like New Zealand food a lot, already.

And finally, late this afternoon, my bags arrived. That's the other reason today rocked. I am now in jeans, with a cleansed and moisturized face, and no longer carrying everything I own like a crazy bag lady. I feel so much better - when you've only got a backpack for all you own, you WANT TO KEEP the BACKPACK.

On an administrative note, these computers are free, but they are just for web surfing - so no pictures for right now, though I am taking them, and I will update the posts soon. And also, I think this Mac is running Safari or an old Firefox, and I can't change it, so I think the blog formatting will be wonky. Sorry about both, but I love the free Macs, so I won't turn it down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for getting your stuff back!

Unknown said...

Hotel So, for those wondering, is the name. It's also got the bonus of a good bar downstairs and super close to everything. The love they have for their own branding is even kind of endearing - the "Do Not Disturb" sign instead says "SO Sleepy." What's not to love?