February 10, 2008

Favorite days

All of my favorite days in life are an odd assortment - often, what I did in them is not what makes them the best days ever, it's more a combination of mood and circumstance. It's no different whilst traveling.

So, on my last day on the continent, my favorite days from month one of my trip, in order:

1. Glacier day, El Calafate
This was hands down the best thing I've done, and I have no doubt that when the entire trip is over, it will still stand up as one of the highlights. Even standing in front of the glacier was an awe-inspiring spectacle of nature unlike anything I've seen. Walking on it was just unbelievable. Even doing the package tour had its advantages - for instance, Brian and I got to spend a lot of the glacier walk joyfully mocking the group of Frenchies with us. I mean, can you blame us - there were two families, and the fathers were both like wayward children. When one lost his hat he was wearing to the wind, he decided to GO BACK FOR IT. On his own. On the glacier. It was such fun to be incredulous at. So it really was a combination of location, activity, and mood, but it was a spectacular day.

2. Tierra del Fuego national park, Ushuaia, Argentina
It was my third full day of the trip, but the first one where I really felt like I had it together. I went for an 8k hike in the park, which was stunning; I managed to get myself to and from the park without incident, which made me feel good; when I got back, it was Saturday night in downtown Ushuaia, and the town was clogged with locals enjoying a summer evening and cruising the main drag; and I had my first (of many) steak sandwich, which was divine (as they all have been). It was a good day, but most importantly, it was the first day that I both felt like I really could do this, and that it was something I wanted to do.

3. Palermo Viejo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
This one is interesting, in that it's really a half day. The morning was good, don't get me wrong. But it was also hot and humid as hell, which left me cranky and tired when we got back to the hostel in the afternoon, and I called home, which always makes me a little sad after. So, a hot, tired, cranky, sad me is not a recipe for success - even worse when you add hungry to the mix, which I was, and getting more so. But we took a rather long bus ride ot the other side of the city to go to Palermo Viejo, and somehow, it all just fit. The weather had turned cooler and mild, the sushi hit the spot unlike anything I've had in a while, we split a bottle of excellent syrah, walking around after was both pleasant and delighfully screwball, as we were repeatedly thwarted in any attempts to find an open and existing gay bar. Not what I wouild have expected for a best day, but there it was nevertheless.

Overall, Argentina and neighboring countries has been incredible. And I am ready for the next stop. Talk to you all in New Zealand.

6 comments:

ScienceMama said...

I cannot believe that you've already been gone almost a month!!

I'm really looking forward to lots and lots of pics from New Zealand. It's high on my list of places to visit.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Annabelle -

Didn't get an email from you, so definitely send it through again!

See you soon,
Julia_82

Bubbles said...

Oooh! I can't wait for you to see New Zealand. It's somewhere I've always wanted to go, so I'll be vacationing through you. :)

ruchi said...

Glad you had a good time in South America! Can't wait to hear about New Zealand!!

Scully96 said...

bon voyage again! xo
g

ruchi said...

Oh, Annie, I nominated you and your diet coke addiction for an excellent blog award. You *might* have to write a two page ode to diet coke though.