April 04, 2008

the people you meet in hostels

In general, I don't have a problem meeting people on the road. Most of it is in hostels; I have found that the all-female dorms are, for some reason, way more social than the mixed ones, so I generally pick those when available.

The conversations all begin the same way: Where are you from, where are you coming from, where are you going to, how long, etc. Specifics then come from there, depending on answers. Names are generally exchanged about one hour to one day into the conversation. It makes it way less lonely, just to have people to talk with, plus it's cool that I've played the Australian version of Monopoly with three Scottish girls, met a British vulcanologist studying an island in the South pacific, and a Chilean veterinarian who left Chile because they only have two species of snake there, and he wanted to study more. But in general, I only rarely meet people who I wish I could be better friends with, irrespective of how we met. Generally, it's like the first week of college - you are friends because of circumstance, but that's about it.

This hostel is by far the most social place I have ever, ever stayed. Seriously, if you are ever passing through Singapore, I do recommend the Betel Box hostel - it's well worth it. Since the minute I arrived in the dorm room Monday night, I would not have had to spend one minute alone if I didn't want.

And the people here are, for some reason, generally more interesting than the ones at other places. I mean, there are the 19 year old Brits and Germans en route to Australia to do the East Coast, so they are the same travelers I just left, but they are new, so that's charming. But there's also the three Irish guys who are on their way home after a year in the US, Mexico, Cuba, South America, New Zealand and Australia.

There is the Australian guy who lives in China, but is currently here bringing his dog from China back to Australia. The dog has to be in quarantine for five months, so he is getting an apartment here in Singapore for the duration. He generally lives in rural China, but also sometimes in Melbourne.

There are the two Tasmanians who are one week into a one- to two-year trip through Asia.

There is another Aussie, this one from Brisbane, who is spending a month in Southeast Asia before going to Europe fro two years to live and work and see every country.

There is the American who has not lived in America for years, as she's been working for an organization based out of Perth for six years, doing midwifery, antenatal and birthing classes for three month stints in places like India, Nepal, Cairo and Japan.

There is the American and the Welsh girl who are here for a week while the school they teach in Japan is on holiday.

There are the two girls from Kuala Lumpur who are here for a weekend.

There is the Nigerian girl who has not been home before 6am once, so excited is she to be in a country where it is safe for a female to do absolutely anything on her own.

There is also the writer of the new Lonely Planet book on Singapore, starting his research.

I'm telling you, the people I've met in this hostel have completely rocked.

1 comment:

ScienceMama said...

I'm so glad that you're meeting great people on the road!

Did the lonely planet guy ask your opinion on stuff?