April 19, 2008

one more night in bangkok...

I have now, officially, been in Bangkok a week. It's too long, especially since I am pretty much done with shopping, and I've been to the Grand Palace, and there isn't a lot more I really feel like I need to do. And yet, I have four more days here. Who knew that one of the dangers of world travel was not traveling fast enough?

Fortunately, the other day I moved out of the hotel and moved
into a hostel across town. While I am very, very sad to have given up the 24 hour aircon (how I miss you, air conditioner!) and the cable television, there are some good things. One is that I am on the complete other side of town, and given the traffic and majorly flawed transport system in this city, it feels almost like I am in an entirely different city. Almost. The other is that, being back in a hostel means I once again have people to talk to, and people to go to the market with, and things to do besides enjoy the aircon and the television. All good things.

Yesterday I wallowed in Westernity, but I am unashamed. Sometimes the day calls for going to all of the uber-hopped-up malls in the city center and looking at what the Thai consumers yearn for, and also bask in their air conditioning. It's still exploring the city, dangit.

And I also went to Jim Thompson's house. I wasn't initially intere
sted, but the guidebooks talked me into it, and I am glad they did. He was an American who moved to Thailand after WWII and ended up starting the Thai silk trade with the west. His house is gorgeous and the tour was really interesting.


I have no idea what all I am going to do in my last few days in Asia, but I am sure I will find a way to eat through them at least.

1 comment:

brian said...

i also was skeptical of the jim thompson house, but i went. and just as you i ended up liking it!

if you're looking for things to do, take some more time and walk along the canals. or take some additional boat rides. i liked seeing the city from the water, you don't have to walk through hustle and bustle, and you can still consider yourself being "cultural."

we also went to a medical museum at some university med school in bangkok. the name escapes me, but it's in the guidebooks. it wasn't super amazing or anything--a cheap knock off of the bodyworks exhibit basically--but if you're looking for the adventure of getting somewhere then go try to find it. it's not in a touristy area as i recall, and the streets in the area are more like unnamed parking lots and alleyways, so you'll get to try out your amazing race skills. ;)