April 25, 2008

Greece is the word

First off, you guys are great. Thanks for all the nice things, and the votes of confidence, and for reminding me that I am not the only one for whom travel is an awesome walk in the park where every single moment is magical. Sometimes, the moments suck, and sometimes that's ok.

I am in Athens, and already things look up. Being with my pare
nts is such a load off - I suddenly don't have to decide every thing for myself, I get to have others suggest dinner or an itinerary, and when I see something as spectacular as the Acropolis, I have people there to share it with.

It's also reinvigorated other things as well, being in Greee - my skin is already so grateful not to be trapped in smoggy humidity, my poor melted "solid" shampoo is about back to solid, and I remember why I like traveling again. Things are better.

I really like Athens, probably more than I thought I would. The Plaka neighborhood, with its tiny streets crammed with tavernas and a view of the Acropolis
, is my favorite. We don't get to see the National Archaeological Museum, as it's closed for Good Friday, but hopefully I will see it on my way back through Athens. Instead, we've scrambled over tons of ruins, enjoyed the perfect weather, fallen in love with Greek yogurt, and eaten wonderful lamb and chicken and enjoyed it all. And it's only day two!Tomorrow we are off to the islands. I can't wait.

6 comments:

piffle said...

yay!

I'm glad things are looking up!

ScienceMama said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Happy birthday, sweetie!!

ruchi said...

Happy birthday!! I am glad you are doing better. Yay for mom and dad. :)

Bubbles said...

I'm glad Greece is working magic for you. :) And funny no matter how old we are, Mom and Dad can make things better. (As long as we disregard the bits where they drive us insane. Or maybe that's just my mom...)

EmjayLA said...

Yes, happy birthday! I remembered it was around this time, and figured I should find out what's been going on with your travels. You're having quite an adventure. Your posts have been wonderful to read, despite the downers. Good to know you're now in Europe. See ya' later! Mary

Unknown said...

see, there's always a time and place for the ol' fashioned family vacation, isn't there? So glad that your experiences are improving again, and that you have travelling companions to share and celebrate with!